Chemrey Monastery is a 400-year-old yet unexplored Buddhist monastery located approximately 40 kilometres (25 mi) east of Leh in northern India. It is known for housing a staggering statue of Padmasambhava (almost a storey-high) and a collection of ancient scriptures with the text emboldened in gold letters with the titles in silver.
The Chemrey Monastery belongs to the Drugpa monastic order and was founded by the Lama Tagsang Raschen and dedicated to King Sengge Namgyal in 1664. The grand edifice houses shrines, two prayer halls, and a Lama temple. The transfixing Chemrey Monastery is also popular for the Chemrey Angchok, which is a sacred dance festival, held on the 28th and 29th day of the ninth month of Tibetan calendar. During this time, the monastery decorated with colourful flags attracts tourists from all over.